TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) – Eighteen staff from the College of Kansas Well being System will likely be cheering on their Chiefs from Tampa at this 12 months’s Tremendous Bowl!
The hospital says the staff had been chosen to acknowledge their arduous work through the COVID-19 pandemic. They’re among the many 1000’s of healthcare staff invited to this 12 months’s recreation as a part of the NFL’s efforts to acknowledge frontline staff and promote vaccination.
Each healthcare employee on the Tremendous Bowl will obtain each doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Staff going to the Tremendous Bowl embody the next:
- Rachael Liesman, Ph.D. – Medical Laboratory. In March, she led a small however spirited group of laboratory professionals to carry COVID-19 testing to the KU Well being System, the primary hospital in Kansas Metropolis to take action. “I’m actually excited and I’m humbled, there are simply so many individuals on this establishment, the well being system which have actually given it their all all through the pandemic.”
- John Sorrick, RRT – Respiratory Remedy. He was a scuba teacher earlier than he received into respiratory remedy. His mother and father inspired him to do one thing significant and dealing with COVID-19 sufferers has been probably the most rewarding work he’s finished.
- Sara Ladner, RN – Emergency Division. Sara has been a nurse for 5 years. She is a born and raised Kansas Metropolis lady and a lifelong Chiefs fan and takes delight in being part of Chiefs Kingdom.
- Dominic Johnson, RN- Unit 61 ICU. Whereas he was initially employed as a brand new graduate Med/Surg nurse, he was transitioned to working solely with COVID- optimistic sufferers inside his first 12 months of being a nurse as a result of ferocity of the pandemic. Not solely has Dominic seen the toll of this illness together with his sufferers firsthand however their households and his coworkers as properly. All through this troublesome time, he says “Unit 61, a Covid ICU, has been a shining instance of power; every particular person is aware of we will rely on one another and understands we’re on this collectively.”
- Shannon Schroeder, Clinic Supervisor. South Kansas Metropolis Medical Pavilion. Shannon Schroeder is the Infusion Heart Nurse Supervisor. She has been a nurse at TUKHS since 2007, the place she got here to as her first and solely nursing job as a result of her dad advised her she “couldn’t work anyplace else.” She is proud to supply care to sufferers at TUKHS. She has been instrumental in establishing the method for monoclonal antibody infusions for sufferers with Covid and offering care to those sufferers with talent and compassion.
- Rick Blevins, RN, Group Income Supervisor. He’s labored for The College of Kansas Well being System since 1997. “Most of my nursing profession on the well being system has been spent working within the Emergency Division. For the previous 5 years, I’ve had the pleasure of getting a major function that entails overseeing the primary support stations and offering look after the followers attending sporting occasions and concert events at places resembling Arrowhead Stadium and the opposite venues supported by the well being system.”
- Dru Coleman, RN, Medical Telemetry. Dru Coleman is a nurse on Unit 62, a Medical Telemetry affected person care unit, at TUKHS. She has labored within the well being system since 2018. She has taken care of Covid sufferers through the pandemic and is famous for at all times connecting with sufferers as individuals, wanting past the sickness that brings the affected person into her care. Dru can also be attending graduate faculty to develop into a nurse practitioner.
- Lauren Timmons, RN, Labor and Supply. She misplaced her grandma, who was a significant Chiefs fan, final 12 months earlier than the Chiefs went to the Tremendous Bowl. Her grandmother’s initials had been LV. So, when she discovered the numbers of this 12 months’s Tremendous Bowl, she felt it was meant to be.
- Marissa Larson, medical lab scientist, Laboratory. She’s chargeable for COVID-19 Molecular testing. She was honored to be shocked by former Chiefs participant Dante Corridor. She says, “It’s an honor to be going to the Tremendous Bowl and it’s an honor to look after Covid-19 sufferers.”
- Kevin Ohlandt, radiologic technologist, Radiology. Kevin gives affected person care in a number of areas of the hospital that Radiology serves such because the OR, ED, ICU’s.
- Michelle Rotrock (Fessler), RRT – Respiratory Remedy, Michelle approaches the care of sufferers through the pandemic with empathy, bravery, and humor. You possibly can rely on Michelle to take nice care of COVID sufferers whereas including in some light-hearted enjoyable. Not solely is Michelle a unbelievable RT, however she can also be a die-hard Chiefs fan who will undoubtedly cheer loud sufficient that you just may suppose the entire RT division is on the recreation!
- Kellie Hardy, RN, GI Endoscopy. Kellie is a valued member of our interventional endoscopy group and has been an integral preceptor for the group during the last 10 years. “I’m so ecstatic, it doesn’t appear actual! I used to be born and raised right here. My Dad was there for the primary Tremendous Bowl method again within the day”.
- Kelsey Belzer, RN, HaysMed COVID-19 Care Unit, Kelsey has labored at The College of Kansas Well being System HaysMed Campus, for nearly 7 years. Kelsey at present works within the Medical Care Unit (MCU-COVID unit) the place she has been since June 2020, caring for COVID-19 sufferers who require intensive care. Flying to the Tremendous Bowl will likely be her first time on an airplane.
- Richard Frazier, Environmental Providers. Richard has been maintaining the well being system clear for 2 years. “They paged me first and I type of thought I did one thing improper. I’m a really diehard Chiefs fan. I’m very excited to see them return to again and I think about them to win this Tremendous Bowl.”
- Cheyenne Maxwell, affected person care assistant, Med Transplant ICU. “I help the nurses with affected person turns, transportation and reply name lights. I carry the Speedy Response pager, so I additionally reply to Rapids, Code Blues, and carry out EKGs as wanted.”
- Lewis Satterwhite, MD, Pulmonology. He was scheduled to work on Tremendous Bowl Sunday caring for COVID-19 sufferers within the ICU. “I haven’t been to a reside occasion in a very long time, so it’s nonetheless all sinking in slightly bit and I’m actually wanting ahead to it.”
- Chris Brown, MD, Hospitalist. “Once they pulled me to the aspect I simply type of needed to scream within the halls. However I saved it calm. To have the accountability and then the well being care system, I assume, belief that I may signify them in the very best method…it’s humbling.”
- Ryan Jacobsen, MD, Emergency Division. Dr. Jacobsen has offered affected person care within the Emergency Division all through the COVID-19 pandemic and gives medical oversight to roughly 900 firefighters, EMTs, and Paramedics.
Copyright 2021 WIBW. All rights reserved.